Friday, April 11, 2008

(W4) Social Networks and Virtual Worlds

(W4) Social Networks and Virtual Worlds
Tuesday 2nd June 08 ... 2pm to 5.30pm
In the last two years Social (online) Networks have grown enormously in popularity with students around the world ... but these have not yet been adopted or used by many schools. In fact quite a number of schools around the world have blocked access on the school network to some of the social network websites like, 'myspace' and 'facebook'.
In this session we will look at what a social network site is and see some examples and discuss the pros and cons for a school community. We will also look at some ways of setting up your own social network for use with your class, school, or club .... or even outside work for your own family.
Finally in this session we will look at Second Life, a 3D virtual environment that is a potentially valuable tool to support teaching and learning, more than half of UK Universities have a presence in S.L.
I will also be introducing you to my own island in Second Life designed to support the professional development of k-12 teachers ... http://internationalschoolsisland.info
If you time before the session then have a look at the pages http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/infolit/socialnet and http://www.shambles.net/secondlife

Your Homework ... one job before you arrive .... introduce yourself (e.g. name, where you are working now, what age students do you work with, do you already use the internet, any technology/computer experiences)
and also say what you hope to achieve at the workshop.
Just click on the word "Comments" below
and fill in the form that should come up.

You can post anonymously although it would be nice to know who you are.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I'm Ingrid and I'm currently teaching High School Physics at the American School. I have a Master's in Curriculum and Technology and am currently doing my PhD in Ed Tech. I'm interested in doing research into virtual worlds and how we can use them educationally.

 
At 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm Martin Laidlaw, Head of Information Technology at the Canadian International School (Singapore). I am very interested in the applications for social networks and virtual worlds in education. However, being in the K-12 grade range I also have many concerns regarding age appropriateness and information privacy of the systems currently available.

 
At 7:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, my name is BoonHaur and I teach Physics at Bowen Sec School. There's been growing interest in social networks and virtual worlds in my school and I hope to learn enough from this workshop to be able to help my colleagues get started. Cheers:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home