Saturday, July 14, 2007

Web 2.0 Workshops 4th and 5th Sept.07

4th and 5th September 2007 Programme
Four workshops are available to you early in September 2007 ... all with a Web 2.0 and Teaching & Learning Themes, details below .. (The venue has yet to be confirmed)
Visit Synergyst (Singapore organisers) for more details
www.synergyst.com
One of the advantages of Web 2.0, apart from being a powerful set of online tools for teaching and learning, is that it is very low cost and in many cases free providing you have an internet connection.
It is planned to have a hands-on session in these workshops where you can try some of the applications ... but that, of course, will depend on the internet connection behaving itself.

If you are attending any of the workshops then I would be grateful if you could do just one thing before you arrive .... introduce yourself (e.g. name, where you working now, what age students do you work with, do you already use the internet) and also say what you hope to achieve at the workshop.
Just click on the word "Comment" below and fill in the form that should come up.
I look forward to working with you.
Chris
(W1) Introducing Web 2.0 supporting teaching and learning
Tuesday 4th September 07 ... 9am to 12.30pm
This session will be a general introduction to the new "Read-Write" web, (Web 2.0), we will look at what it is, what makes a web 2.0 website different from the more traditional ones.
We will also look at several examples and see how they might be used in teaching and learning.
If you have time before the workshop then have a browse around the page http://www.shambles.net/web2


(W2) Making use of Blogs for teaching and learning
Tuesday 4th September 07 ... 2pm to 5.30pm
What is a Blog (Weblog), how do you make one and what can they be used for? ... we will answer all of these and create one in real time.
If you have time before the workshop then have a browse around http://www.shambles.net/web2#blog


(W3) Use of Podcasts for teaching and learning
Wednesday 5th September 07 ... 9am to 12.30pm
Podcasts are really very simple (once you have been shown) ... they are audio (sometimes video) recordings that are put on the internet and have the potential to be brilliant resources to use with students and by students.
Will we go through the whole process of making an audio Podcast and then putting it on a website so it can be listened to by anyone in the world with an internet connection.
If you have time before the workshop then have a browse around http://www.shambles.net/podcasting


(W4) Social Networks
Wednesday 5th September 07 ... 2pm to 5.30pm
In the last year Social (online) Networks have grown enormously in popularity with students around the world ... but these have not yet been adopted or used by many schools. In fact quite a number of schools around the world have blocked access on the school network to some of the social network websites like, 'myspace' and 'facebook'.
In this session we will look at what a social network site is and see some examples and discuss the pros and cons for a school community. We will also look at some ways of setting up your own social network for use with your class, school, or club .... or even outside work for your own family.
Finally in this session we will look at Second Life, a 3D virtual environment that is being considered as a possible tool to support teaching and learning, already half of UK Universities have a presence in S.L.
If you time before the session then have a look at the pages http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/infolit/socialnet and http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/ict/secondlife

Labels: , , , , ,

24 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Kah Loong from Pioneer JC here. Will be attending the workshop on social networks. Just interested in knowing how to make use of these networks for teaching and learning.

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Sharon from S'pore Poly. Attending your workshop on Blog. I am concerned about the time required to maintain a Blog.

 
At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Cheyanne from YJC. Am interested in using blog to teach Physics.

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Denise from Yuying Sec. Interested to learn about how to use a blog & potcasts to reach out to students effectively, e.g. through humanities subjs.

 
At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, I'm Po Lin from Anglo-Chinese Junior College. I've signed up for your workshops on blogs, podcasts and social networks. This is a desperate attempt at keeping up with my students, and using what they're interested in to engage their learning in GP.

 
At 1:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Sylvia from PJC. same reasons as given by my colleague and Po Lin from ACJC.

 
At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Patrick the Middle School Technology Coordinator at the Singapore American School. I'm interested in being able to present blogging, podcasting and wikis to my teachers in a way that is non-threatening. I hope to get some ideas about how teachers are currently managing and using these powerful tools successfully in their classrooms.

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Mr. Welsh said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Mr. Welsh said...

Hi Chris,
I'm teaching ICT to HS students at SAS. I'd like to share the best Web 2.0 tools with students and maintain academic rigor without being perceived as a class for hacking, surfing, and networking. I'm also interested in ways to make Web 2.0 enhance each other.

 
At 2:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Hongying from S'pore Poly. I'm a maths lecturer. Attending your workshop on Blog. Never use blog before. I'd like to know (1)how to key in maths symbols using Blog? (2)is it possible to "record" the blog sessions for future reference?

 
At 4:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi all,
I'm Meow Ang from Pioneer JC, teaching Maths. Most of my students know how to use Blogs, so I thought it may be a useful platform to reach out to them. I wonder if I can type in Maths notations and equations in Blogs. I hope to learn about this from the workshop. See you!

 
At 10:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Boon Keong from Pioneer JC. I'm attending the workshop on social networks. Hope to find out how I can utilise it for teaching and learning, esp Second Life

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger joc said...

Hello from Jocelyn of Overseas Family High School. I look forward to using more Web 2 in my classes to inspire the digital natives I teach.

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I'm Suzanne from Overseas Family School. My students are tech savvy non-native English speakers, ranging from 13-19 in age.

 
At 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I am Huei Huei from ACJC, I am looking forward to the course. My teaching subject is Chemistry and I am working with students between the age of 17 and 18.

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, I am Ying Liang from ACJC. I am teaching Chemistry to 17 and 18 year olds. I look forward to seeing you at the course on the 4th.

 
At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I am Hwee Theng from Singapore Poly. I have a personal blog (a v simple one) but I have very limited knowledge of its features and its use in teaching maths.

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I am Rona from RGS. I would like to learn how to use these new technologies to help my students and their families in blogging and sharing photos and resources. Looking forward to learning :)

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, call me Gan, I am from Yuying Secondary. I teach design and technology. I would like to find out what else I could do besides just loading pictures and tagging. There must be more to it.

 
At 2:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Benji from Northbrooks Sec. I am interested in learning how to create pod cast and video casting to further enhance the learning experience of my students.

 
At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Jian Chang from Singapore Poly, teaching Maths. Never blogged before. Attending the workshop with an open mind on how blogging can be used for T & L purposes.

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Swee Pheng from ACJC. I'll be attending your workshops on Web 2.0. Blogging and Podcasting. Hope to gain some familiarity with the technology that my kiddos/students are so comfy with.

 
At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Joyce from Northrbooks Secondary School. Am looking forward to the workshop to learn how to make teaching and learning more effective for my students.

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Leo from Singapore Poly, teaching Maths. Never blogged before. Attending the workshop to learn about how blogging can be used to enhance mathematics lessons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home