Monday, February 05, 2007

The New Web 2.0 (public)

The New Web (2.0) supporting Teaching & Learning: Blogging, Podcasting and More
15 March 2007 9:00am–4:00pm
venue: Singapore Conference Hall, SHRI, Summer Room, Level 1
public transport details and parking

During this session we looked at the "Web 2.0" (pronounced ‘web two point oh’), also known as the ‘read/write web’, which is an excellent solution to first introduce teachers and students to online and elearning tools. They are low costs, low risks and easy to learn.

We also shared some ideas about how Blogs, Wikis and Podcasts can be integrated into teaching and learning ... and demonstrate how easy and fast it is to set up at least one of these in real time!
Please listen to this (spoken) welcome message





On Tuesday 13th March I visited Millennia Institute
and talked with three of the staff about what they hoped to do at this workshop
... to listen to this interview (Podcast) go to http://shambles.podbean.com


Well ... it's all over now and I'm back in Thailand
I really enjoyed the day and, from the evaluation sheets, it seems you did to ... although the room was maybe a little crowded. You already know that working with students who are responsive, self motivated and keen to learn is a real pleasure .... and so it is with teacher training as well ... and you all fitted this description.
Maybe we will cross paths again one day ... but more importantly I hope your students and colleagues benefit from your new skills and knowledge in the future.

Links:
You can view the final presentation ... pictures of you with music .. online at YouTube just go to www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMz4wfTvLrY ... you are able to add comments if you wish.
and lots of web 2.0 information on Shambles at www.shambles.net/web2 (of course)
The still pictures I took during the session can all be seen at "Flickr" ... go to www.flickr.com/photos/csmith/sets/72157594586029802


Downloads
brochure with full details, costs and application form


26 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Blogger wanyi said...

I am from Hwa Chong and registered in the course with my colleaques together. I am just a beginner in creating blog, and very keen to learn the skills on it. I look forward to the new world of teaching!

Wanyi

 
At 3:27 AM, Blogger ejuliae said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger ejuliae said...

I have never blogged nor podcast.I am afraid I might have difficulty following with the lesson as I am not IT savvy but you can say I am willing to ressurect my "gungho" spirit to try and keep abreast with this new thingy

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!I'm from Millennia Institute. Thought it'd be a good start to understand my students better by familiarising myself with the technology which they seem to be so comfortable with while I'm simply clueless about!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Shirlyn said...

I'm Shirlyn from Millennia Institute. Looking forward to learning how to blog and doing podcasting so that I can better interact with my students.

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Ong M.Y said...

Sharie, a General Paper tutor from Millennia Institute. I used to blog using Open Diary six years ago. However, I abandoned my blog after someone hacked into my account. I'm quite apprehensive about blogging. However, this is a good way to get students who are always online to keep updated about homework, read and discuss current affairs, especially with links to the webpages. I hope to learn more about attaching links to webpages and copyright issues so that I won't infringe any.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger jy said...

Hi
I'm judy fr MI. I'm a real digital migrant & need to learn everything fr scratch. Looking forward to the workshop.

judy

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger fannris said...

I am from Bowen Sec. I have and am still blogging (Blogspot, Friendster). Even created one just for my students. Have inserted self-made videos using YouTube which the students loved. Very interested in podcast although havent had the time to toy with that yet.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Gemshin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, I am from Millennia Institute teaching General Paper. I like to find out how useful are blogs and how to create pod and vod casts.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger vara said...

Hi. I am Vara. I've been blogging since 2005. Wouldn't say I'm totally new to cyberspace - I do chat - but there are areas I have not explored that I would like to like podcasting and you tube.... Watched a video on Web2.0 recently and am intrigued.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger lai said...

this is most confusing for a technophobe.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger jam said...

Hello. Jamaliah from Millennia Institute here. I don't really blog and know nothing about podcasts. I'm going for this course to really see how I can utilise the technology in teaching and also to learn the technology.

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Looking forward for fun ideas for teaching, lots of hands-on, relax and enjoyable course together with Chris and all teachers out there!

Poh Ling (Hwa Chong Institution)

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Time's Person for the year is YOU - referring to the power of individuals to create,interact and share knowledge through the platforms provided by Web2.0. Hopefully this course will shed some light into this new area.

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no experience in Blogging or podcasting. After visit this page, I have created a google account and a blogspot but I am not sure about what (and properly how) to put in this site yet.

Wei Ching

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Esther Cheong said...

Esther here. I don't know much about IT too. But I am sure it is going to be FUN. I learn best when I can be hands on.

thanks

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger sukir said...

Hope the workshop is not too difficult for a truly non-IT person like me

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've signed up for this course because I'm interested to find out what blogging & podcasting is about. Hope I can manage with all the new terms. :)

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi friends, I'm Vijaya, a digital immigrant. want to learn how to engage the mind of the digital natives and encourage learning. Eager to familiarise myself with the 21st IT skills

 
At 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi. I am new at this. reading the other comments i reckon that there are others in the same boat. Looking forward to using this tool for my lessons.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger Sze-Chin said...

Hi, I'm from Hwa Chong and registered as I am keen to learn more about blogs and podcasts, and to try to keep abreast of new trends. I also would like to listen to tips on how it can be incorporated into my lessons.

Sze-Chin

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am John Johnson, high school librarian at the Singapore american School. My colleague, Gary Dwor-Frecaut, and I are looking forward to joining the workshop. We'll be interested in learning how, as librarians, we can facilitate the use of blogs, podcasts, and other developments to help our students and teachers.

John

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm BH from Bowen Sec Sch. I'll be at the workshop with 4 other colleagues. We are really keen to apply what we will pick up from Chris in our school.

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Keen to know how to blog & create podcasts and as a teaching tool as well. Exactly what the course is about, right? So see you on 15 March 2007.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Hi, I'm a high school teacher and I am keen to learn more about blogs and podcasts, and to learn how to incorporate such IT into teaching and learning. I also would like to listen to tips on how it can be incorporated into my lessons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home