Thursday, January 15, 2009

(W2) Google Extended

Note the session on virtual worlds and second life 
originally in this time slot has been cancelled

Google Extended
Wednesday 18th March 09 ... 2:00 to 5:00

It's highly likely that you are already familiar with the Google search engine (www.google.com).

In this session we will take a closer look at some of the not so well known search functions in Google and some of the strategies that could make you and your students better searchers. (researchers)

Google, though, is now much more than just a search engine ... we will also cover some of the other Google applications that are available to educators. 

In particular we will look at Google Docs which allows you (your students) to set up free collaborative Word documents and Spreadsheets online.

In addition you will be shown where to find free (legal) resources for students to use (images, videos and sound files)  .... and how to copyright your own resources.

Those attending this session are expected to:

  a) introduce themselves before the session on the Blog at http://singaporeworkshops.blogspot.com
  b) already have set up for yourself a Google email account (free) if you don't already have one.. http://mail.google.com/mail/signup
  c) bring a thumbdrive/flashdrive to save files on ... or bring your own laptop (optional)

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At 5:27 AM, Blogger Vijay said...

Hi Chris
My name is Vijay and I will probably be one of the older participants in your workshops. My main concern will be whether I will find the pace of the workshops too fast.
Vijay

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, Cindy from SJC. Have been using research as a tool for my upper sec Geog classes esp and this yr, just had a couple of Google Earth and Google Research sessions for my sec 1s. Would want to find out what else I could pick up to help my girls extend their learning curve. Thanks, Cindy , CHIJ SJC

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, Les Fielder here from Etonhouse International School. I'm an old timer like Vijay and have already found this process to be frustrating but I'm keen to learn what google extras has to offer for my year 5 class.

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning!

I am Tan, teaching upper secondary Science and Physics. I have used Google to search for information and images. My two concerns are:
1. If I copy information and pictures from websites and I print out as notes given to pupils. Do I infringe copyright?
2. Some video or animations can't be downloaded to my laptop (to be inserted in my Powerpoint presentation).

I look forward to your workshop. Thanks and Have a Nice Day!

Tan

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

I'm Rebecca. I do not have much time surfing the net, but I'd like to maximize the use of Google for 1)instant search/research purposes; 2) know how to identify reliable sites from the many that appear (e.g. some very good reliable sites as resource for teachers); and 3) be aware of where not to cross the copyrights of even photos that I should download. I'll be bringing down a powerpoint with some pictures I'd downloaded to check if they are copyrighted.

Thanks in advance for making yourself available to helping us.

 
At 3:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

I'm Daniel from CPDD, MOE. I have used Google for several purposes, i.e. search engine, visual tool (GoogleEarth) and collaborative platform.

I would like to find out more on the types of learning activities that maximise the use of Google to extend students' learning and engagement. In addition, I want to learn more about the parameters in using Google so as not to infringe into any copyright issues.

Thanks!
Daniel

 
At 6:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I am Prasun. I teach Electronics and Business studies in an international school in Singapore. I would be particularly interested in Google docs for my students.

 
At 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm Sarah from SJC, I have not conducted any internet based lessons for my students before. Hope I will be able to do so after this workshop.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I'm Adeline. I have not really made used of Google for my teaching yet. But i'll be looking forward to see if I can pick up some stuff to incorporate into my lessons.

 
At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Daphne from SJC. Tried internet research lesson with students before. Interested to know how to use Google more extensively in class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home